March 11, 2021
Thanks to everyone who joined in on Sunday for another fun and delicious Facebook Live cooking class. And, a special thanks to our sponsors Ichiban Soft Tofu and Tasty Joy Vegetarian Fish Sauce. I cook for a household with mixed eating preferences, so having access to vegetarian options is always welcome.
I found this recipe in the October 2020 issue of Bon Appetit Magazine and promptly tweaked it. The original recipe calls for a white fish. I actually prefer soft tofu. You are going to not only enjoy learning how to make this easy and delicious soup, you'll likely make it again - the very same day! It's that good.
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium shallots, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 lemongrass stalks, bottom third only, tough outer layers removed, minced
2 - 6 green or red Thai or Vietnamese chiles, thinly sliced
3 large ripe tomatoes, diced
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons regular or vegetarian fish sauce (Tasty Joy)
5 cups cold water
1 19 oz. container soft tofu (Ichiban), cube just before using
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Fresh cilantro and basil, for garnish
1. Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat.
2. Once the oil is hot, add the shallots, garlic, lemongrass, and chiles. Stir and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. The key is not to overcook - the ingredients should not brown.
3. Add the tomatoes and stir with a spatula, breaking down the tomatoes as they cook with the back of the spatula. Cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the salt, fish sauce, and water. Bring to a slow simmer.
5. Carefully add the tofu. Be careful the tofu does not break apart. Don't stir, just let the soup continue to simmer gently.
6. Add the lime juice, cilantro, and basil. Stir gently. Serve piping hot in bowls by placing one or two pieces of tofu in a bowl and adding broth and other ingredients over the tofu. Add crunchy, fresh moong or soy sprouts as garnish before or after serving.
Here is my Facebook Live Class if you want to watch how to make this soup for yourself. You can watch the video below or click on and subscribe to my YouTube Channel, where I break down the video by segments in the description. Simply click on the time to go to the section you would like to watch. Or, watch the video the entire way through. Your choice!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
September 28, 2023
September 18, 2023