February 20, 2022
When it comes to a really delicious Tofu Scramble that everyone - even your non-vegan eaters will love, there are a few techniques to keep in mind. First, use a firm tofu so that it really stands up to the cooking process and has a slightly more substantial mouthy feel to it. Too soft and it just does not have the right texture. Second, use spices like turmeric and kala namak (black salt). The turmeric gives you the yellow color and the kala namak gives you a sulfuric tang and the taste and smell of eggs. I also stay away from adding ingredients that have higher water content like tomatoes and mushrooms. When I want to add mushrooms, I cook them separately and then add them to the tofu towards the end. This recipe first appeared in my second cookbook, Vegan Indian Cooking on page 82.
Recipe: Tofu Scramble
1 package firm tofu (Ichiban is my favorite)
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 small white or red onion, minced
1 (1/2-inch) piece ginger, minced or grated
1-4 green Thai or serrano chiles, stems removed and thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon red chile powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon kala namak or black salt
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
1. Crumble the tofu with your hands and set it aside. If it is firm, there is no need to drain it.
2. In a heavy pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
3. Add the cumin and cook until the seeds sizzle, about 30 seconds.
4. Add the onion, ginger, chiles, and turmeric. Cook and brown for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking.
5. Add the tofu and stir until it is completely coated yellow with turmeric. This is the hue that makes your dish look exactly like eggs.
6. Add the red chile, salt, kala namak, and cilantro. Stir and serve with toast or rolled up in a warm roti or paratha.
Thanks to all of you who joined my Facebook Live class. If you would like to watch the replay, just head to @IndianAsApplePie on Facebook and head to the Live link at the top, or click here.
Click here for a link to my favorite Indian omelette recipe.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
January 25, 2023
January 24, 2023